I love coconut oil. Why? Because I can use it for so many things. It’s natural and healthy!
What is coconut oil you ask? It is the fatty oil extracted from the coconut flesh. Here’s what it’s made up of:
9% of Caprylic- used in fighting some bacterial infections.
10% Decanoic- is a component in some types of soaps.
52 % Lauric- could be a useful component in a treatment for acne.
19 % Myristic- is used in cosmetic and topical medicinal preparations where good absorption through the skin is desired.
11% Palmitic- mainly used to produce soaps, cosmetics, and release agents.
8% Oleic- is a common monounsaturated fat in human diet.
Now that you know EXACTLY what coconut oil is, let’s get to it’s many awesome uses.
1. Coconut oil helps grow and strengthen your nails. It’s compromise of nutrients that’ll help make your cuticles and nails stronger. Rubbing coconut oil on your hands and feet will assist in combating the splitting of the nail. It’s an anti fungal so go ahead and slather that oil on them athletes feet.
2. Help Prevent & Treat Yeast Infections. The lauric, capric and caprylic acid that help make up coconut oil have antiviral (treatment against viruses), antimicrobial (active against bacteria) and anti-fungal (active against fungus) properties. These compounds go after the dangerous bacteria. The caprylic acid breaks down the cell membrane of the yeast that causes the vaginal yeast infection. The luaric acid helps strenghtens the immune system to fight the yeast fungus, thus curing the infection.
- To prevent yeast infections add 3-4 tbs of coconut oil into your diet daily.
- To cure yeast infection, soak an unbleached tampon with coconut oil, insert the tampon into infected area and let it sit.
3. Teeth Whitener. Swishing coconut oil around your mouth for 20 minutes is called oil pulling. Many people praise this method for getting rid of the toxins in their mouths and brightening their teeth. I’ve never tried this method, but many trusted blogger say this is a go. I’ll be trying it soon with pictures.
4. Weight Loss. Take a spoonful before big meals to curb appetite so you don’t overeat. It can also boost your metabolism.
5. Sunscreen. Coconut gives some protection from the sun, about an SPF 4. Spread a coat on your skin before you soak in the sun.
6. Deodorant. Mix coconut oil with baking soda and your choice of essential oils for a natural deodorant that smells spectacular.
7. Shaving Cream. Coconut oil helps the razor glide smoothly across your skin, leaving it nice and soft.
Below are even more uses for coconut oil:
Cooking, Natural Lotion, Chapstick, Hair Sealant, Natural Lubricant, Reduces Dark Spots & Blemishes, Tame Frizzy Hair, Make Up Remover, Lice Removal, Acne Removal, Pet Health, Tanning Oil, Sore Throat… The list is endless!
Leave a comment and let me know what you use coconut oil for & how! Thanks.