Hello Dearies, I’ve recently started my year of service as an AmeriCorp Member as the Outreach Coordinator at a non-profit called Rebuilding Together Houston. It’s really a great cause, check out the specifics here. However, this job requires me to sit down in front of a computer for hours at a time (like most people in America). Well, I don’t like that. Sitting down for hours at a time is hazardous to your health. It can cause you the pounds to creep up, and “ain’t nobody got time to get fat.” So I have come up with some ways to burn calories while in the office.
1. Sit Up Straight- Having good posture strengthens your abdominals. So remember while you’re at your desk pull in your tummy, keep it tight and keep your back straight.
2. Keep Water Close- Have a water bottle close by. Constantly sip the water throughout the day. I keep a gallon jug by me every day.
3. Take the Stairs- Take the stairs every chance you get. That’s if you don’t work on the 20th floor. I say 5 floors or less is worth a trip upstairs.
4. Skip the Emails- If you have something to ask your co-worker, actually get up and walk to their desk. Skip the emails and put those social skills to work.
5. Bring your Lunch- Don’t go out to eat, both your tummy and wallet will thank you. Bring in a healthy meal each meal so you won’y be susceptible to going out to eat and making a bad choice.
6. Take a Walk- During your lunch break, go for a walk. Stretch your legs and get your heart pumping.
7. Go to the furthest restroom on your floor. With all the water you’ll be drinking at your desk, your going to have to run to restroom a few times. Go to the furthest one so you can burn a few extra calories. Walk briskly, you’ll look like your actually doing something important… hehe.
8. Stand Up- Stand up as much as you can, you burn more calories standing up than sitting down, so if your going to talk to your co-worker for a minute, don’t pull up a seat.