Running is my absolute favorite exercise. There is just something about running that boost my energy. It’s such a rush! Now, I know that a lot of people don’t find running as awesome as I do, but it’s important to realize that running has so many benefits.
- Boost your mood
- Lower risk of breast cancer
- Lower risk of stroke
- Recommended exercise for people with diabetes
- Helps reduce cholesterol
- Helps reduce high blood pressure
- Aids in weight loss
- Relieves Stress
My advice to you: Put this exercise into your work out regimen. However, running can get a bit boring, even for me. After multiple runs, I have accidentally came up with ways to make running even more fun!
1. GO ON A SCENIC ROUTE- Running through scenic places makes the run more interesting. It takes the focus off of running and places the focus on nature around you. This alternate focus will lead to a longer run, which means more calories burned. It’s site seeing while burning calories at the same time. What better than that? I tend to stray away from running on tracks and treadmills. Nothing against them, but I just can’t stand being locked into one place.
2. RACE STRANGERS- One day while I was stretching I saw this guy running that was in pretty good shape. I hadn’t decided on which route to take so I decided to follow him. Creepy right? LOL We were on opposite ends of the street so I don’t think he noticed. Anyways, I kept up with him, and ended up running faster than I anticipated. I soon realized he was running to the White House so I made sure I beat him there. He never knew we were racing, but it sure added a spark to my daily run.
3. RUN YOUR ERRANDS (LITERALLY)- Do you ever feel like there’s not enough time in the day. How can I go grocery shopping, pick up some new pants, and get a work out in. Well easy, run there. Instead of spending money on the metro, I run to most of my destinations. For example I would run to Urban Outfitters to catch a sale, then to Whole Foods to pick up some groceries and walk back with my items. This is an easy way to kill two birds in one stone.
4. TAKE A NEW ROUTE- I love discovering new things when I run. For awhile I would take specific routes for my daily runs. Except one day I decide to turn down a street that looked interesting. I ended up running into a Whole Foods, my favorite store. I had no clue it was even there. I also ran into a farmers market along the way too! So take a new route. You’ll never know what you’ll find.